Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 1, garage building

9/23/11 The guys from Dezert Door showed up early.

The had to assemble the door

Tested with an extension cord. It works nicely. After everything else is finished, I'm going to have them back and insulate the inside of the door. They take it back apart, insert 2' foam insulation, reassemble and adjust it for around $200. I should have had it done now, but didn't think about it, as it was part of the building contract. Glad it can be done later.
The construction crew got caught up in problem with some other customer today, not their fault, it was a husband and wife thing involving where to place their garage. Anyway, they will be back tomorrow to finish up.

This is what the street looked like after the cement truck was here to pour the foundation. They deny it was their truck leaking, but it had to be. Anyway, J & A Concrete that did the job (not the owner of the delivery truck) sent the Boss out to clean it up, just to save us a problem. A very good man!

Jim from J&A bought some expensive grease remover and went over the spill 3 times. Most of it is gone. 96 degrees out there, and he's doing this just because he's a good guy. The Cement supplier should have done it.

9/22/2011. A crew of 4 men brought this load of lumber and material down from Las Vegas this morning. It's 9:AM now, they are just starting to unload.

They lay out some of the pre-fab pieces. Most of the framing and trusses are cut and fit here on the site.

There was a small delay waiting for another contractor to bring the nuts to put on the studs that hold the walls to the foundation. They stayed busy doing other things while they waited.

All the workers were very fast and knew what they were doing. A good team that works together a lot.

The trusses are going up.

The plywood has a radiant barrier on one side. Tar paper will go over the plywood, then composition shingles will complete the roof.

Everything takes time, but they are moving right along.

They use a lot of metal clips for strength.

It was after 2 PM before they took about a 15 minute break.

This bike life weights around 400 pounds. The 4 of them and I was able to get it from the attached garage on the house out here to the new location in the floor. It would have been extremely difficult without their help.

A large 2 x 4 foot sky light that will go in tomorrow, as well as an over-sized Turbo vent in the roof.

This is the radiant barrier. Suppose to lower the inside temp around 15 degrees in the summer time.

5 PM on the first day. They got a lot done. The City inspector will be here in the morning to check it out so far, then they will do the finish trim. The door will be installed, and Saturday they will finish the shingles on the roof and it will be done. We're going to postpone the electrical and concrete apron and driveway until we get back from a trip to Oregon next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment